Organisers of Spartan Race have unveiled details of their 2014 series with six events being staged in the UK, including Edinburgh, Yorkshire, Cambridgeshire and East Sussex. There was also confirmation that the series will be under the direction of a new race director, Dan Tuffnell, to oversee the UK events.
The action-packed programme of six races is set to attract more than 25,000 runners for one what is one of the world’s leading obstacle race series. Supported by its title sponsor, the global fitness brand Reebok, Spartan Race is the first obstacle racing series of its kind to feature judging, timing and global rankings.
While obstacles are kept secret until race day, participants can expect 5-foot rope climbs, slippery 7-foot ramp scaling, spear target-throwing, carrying sandbags up steep hills and barbed-wire mud crawls. Would-be Spartans may also have to scale 25-foot-high cargo nets, leap through fire and endure plunging into sub-zero ice-pits. Staged in nine countries last year, Spartan Race has expanded its reach due to popular demand, with events now located in 20 countries.
Newly appointed UK Director Dan Tuffnell, who recently completed the Spartan Sprint in Atlanta, Georgia, commented: “I am incredibly excited and proud to have been selected by Spartan Race to produce the series and thrill the UK Spartan community. Our numbers for UK race registrations are already well up on this time last year and we are expecting over 25,000 people to sign up to take part in a Spartan Race this year.”
Dan added: “Only four years ago, the first Spartan event on UK soil attracted 1,000 racers in Bassingbourn Barracks, Cambridge. Spartan Race and obstacle racing are growing tremendously as they grasp and inspire individuals, teams and families. A lot is changing and many exciting innovations are being introduced. This year’s Spartan Race UK season is going to be our best yet.”
Six races confirmed in UK 2014:
- 30 August: South London Spartan Sprint (5k+, 15 obstacles), at Pippingford Park.
- 31 August: South London Spartan Super (13k+, 21 obstacles), also at Pippingford, East Sussex
- 7 September: Cambridge Spartan Sprint (5k+, 15 obstacles), at Milton Country Park Milton
- 21 September: Edinburgh Spartan Sprint (5k+ 15 obstacles) at Winton House
- 28 September: Yorkshire Spartan Sprint (5k+, 15 obstacles) at Ripon
- 11 October: South London Spartan Beast (20k+, 26 obstacles), also at Pippingford, East Sussex
For more information, visit the event website.